I will once again be covering a primary debate – this one the National Security debate in DC to be hosted by the Heritage Foundation and CNN and moderated by Wolff Blitzer (which just may be the most awesome name in cable news). The show begins at 8 PM, and so will I. The main stories:
– Will Herman Cain avoid making a complete ass of himself for once on matters of foreign policy? He flubbed Libya, China, Iraq, Iran, North Korea…he needs to prove he’s a quick study and he needs to unveil some concrete plan for our national defense and some idea of who he might select to advise him.
– Newt Gingrich has promised that tonight, he will unveil has historically-founded and coherent international strategy for our common defense, including who will be in his defense department adviser list (and some of them are REALLY big names from the Reagan, Bush and Bush II years, FWIW), and why his plans are better than Romney’s.
– Romney will try to set records for fractional plastic content within a human hairdo. He’ll have to prove that he has as much insight as Gingrich does to keep any of his momentum going into the Iowa caucuses.
– Ron Paul will probably get booed off the stage for being a loony, anti-American anti-military buffoon.
– Huntsman will get to make a case based on his experience as a diplomat in China.
– And we’ll see if Rick Santorum, who is best known as a social conservative with little in the way of practical security experience, can show command of the issues.
The others are likely irrelevant, though when Perry talks, it’ll be like watching a NASCAR race…both the Southern drawl and the desperate hope that he screws up horribly to make it more entertaining (come on crash!!)
Check back here to this thread for updates as the event unfolds…my commentary will be extemporaneous, so forgive typos…fast-typing while trying to beat the commercials or the next big question is hard, y’know. 🙂